Rules and Expectations
Swimming Team Expectations
All swimmers, coaches, and parents will have a positive attitude and show good sportsmanship at all times. As a team we will work hard together and encourage one another. Having a good attitude will make each day that much easier to come to practice.
The coaches will determine the line-ups for the meets. Participation on a relay in one meet does not guarantee a spot on that relay in the future. Varsity events will be swum by the fastest swimmers, but a swimmer can be removed from a varsity event due to poor attendance or attitude. Swimming in a varsity event does not guarantee a spot at varsity sections nor does it mean the swimmer automatically letters.
To be eligible to participate in a meet, an athlete must be present in school the day of the meet, and must have participated in the practice the day before. If you miss practice the day before a meet you will not be able to compete in the meet.
It is high school policy that students must ride the bus to and from all meets. The only way you will be allowed to go home with parents is if you have filled out a form available in the athletic office, have it signed by your parents, and turned back in to the athletic office before the meet. Coaches are no longer allowed to let the athlete leave without this being done.
Athletes must maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the High School in order to be eligible for the team. This means juniors and seniors must keep a cumulative GPA of 1.5 or higher. Freshman and sophomores must have 13 credits by the end of freshman year. I strongly encourage good academics, if you are having trouble with a class please talk to the coaches and we can arrange to get help for you.
Alcohol and Drug Use:
Zero tolerance in any form or amount
1. Each swimmer is expected to attend all after school practices and Saturday morning practices.
2. Excused Absences: Illness, medical appointments, religious commitments and family commitments are considered excused. Please let the coaches know in advance if you are going to miss a practice.
- If you are absent from school all day, you are excused from practice that day. An illness developing at 2:30 is not excused. If you come to school, come to practice.
- Please bring a parent note for all missed practices.
- If you make up an exam or work with a teacher after school, that is excused, but you must bring a note from the teacher stating that you were there. Please try to schedule those things during an open hour or before school, so you do not have to miss practice. If it begins to happen frequently it will no longer be considered an excused abs.
3. Unexcused Absences: Homework, music lessons, club meetings, dates, and work are unexcused. One unexcused absence results in being pulled from an event in the next meet. The second results in one individual event and one relay event. The third results in being pulled from the next meet and a discussion with the coaches. More than three may result in removal from the team.
4. Tardies and Leaving Early: M - F Please ready to go at 3:25. Sat. be prepared to swim and lift. Mon-Fri. We will be in the water or doing dryland by 3:30. The practices are written to be completed in two hours, however if you are late or not staying on task they will run past 6. If you are late to practice you will stay after to do sprints. If you decide to leave early you will do sprints at the next practice and could possibly be pulled from an event in a meet. It is important that you attend all of practice.
5. Meets: If you are absent from practice immediately preceding a meet, you may not compete in that meet.
There are three ways to letter: time, making it to finals at varsity sections, or if you are a senior who has been on the team for three years.
200 Free 2:04.10
200 IM 2:21.30
50 Free :25.1
100 Fly 1:04.40
100 Free :57.00
500 Free 5:49.3
100 Back 1:05.4
100 Breast 1:13.00